Can you believe it’s March already?
I woke up this morning completely unaware that we had stepped into a new month, till I received the news on Twitter (the source of most if not all my information these days)! Oh how I love March! March means the onset of spring even though it isn’t officially spring till March 20th also known as the Vernal Equinox. It’s a great month that signals a fresh start, longer days, the chirping of birds, the end of hibernation (for me) and that summer is soon to follow. And what does my heart and soul love more than spring? Of course, summer!
I now see the light at the end of the tunnel and I know I will be braving the beautiful outdoors once again! Back to lovely walks along Brighton Beach Boardwalk (a big devastating tease but nevertheless better than concrete), BBQ’s, picnics in the park, wearing just a decent amount of clothing and being able to work from my front garden and relish the glorious sun trap.
A reason to celebrate, no? Yes. I am celebrating with a big, huge pile of pancakes. They are outrageously luscious. But, don’t take my word for it…You’ll just have to make them to know for yourselves!
P.S- The H2ope for Haiti fundraiser is still running and there are over 30 prizes up for grabs- some have not even been bid for. Watcha waiting for?
Also, Qype London recently did an interview with me (Yup little moi and I didn’t have to drug them either! 🙂 Anyway, here it is if you’re interested in knowing more about this blog, Lebanese BBQ’s, the citizen reviewer and why cooking is sexy!
- 250ml or about 1 cup milk
- 227g or 1.5 cups of flour
- 2 large eggs
- 60g or ½ cup of butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cardamom pod, pounded should yield a generous pinch
- 100ml or about ½ cup of water
- 200g or about 1 cup sugar
- 15ml or 1 tablespoon juice of lemon
- 15ml or 1 tablespoon orange blossom water (found in any Middle Eastern specialty store)
- about 20g (a good handful) of pistachios
- In a bowl sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt & cardamom powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients; butter, milk and eggs. Now combine the wet and dry ingredients and whisk them until smooth. Set aside the mixture for about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime place a heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium flame and add all the ingredients listed for the syrup: sugar, water, orange blossom water and lemon juice and bring to a gentle boil. Once boiling reduce heat and let it simmer (stirring often) for about 20 minutes or till thick. Remove off flame and set aside.
- Now place a heavy-bottomed chef pan on medium flame and lightly wipe with some butter. Once the pan is hot about 1 minute drizzle in about 100ml or ½ cup of the batter at a time. This recipe yields cakey pancakes. If you desire thinner varieties then add a little more milk to the batter accordingly.
- Pile ’em up high lathered sandwiched with slivers of butter, drizzle with the orange blossom syrup, sprinkle with the pistachios and dig in!