I have been enjoying this salad plentifully over the last month. After all, how can one resist the combination of crisp green leaves, garlicky butter beans, and a runny egg yolk with a sprinkle of sumac? And if that wasn’t enough, this salad can be knocked out in no time! Okay, so you may need to use canned beans but I recommend cooking up a big batch of dried butter beans and then freezing them in individual serving sizes, making it more convenient and a better option for later use. If you’re using canned butter beans, just make sure to soak them in cold water for at least 15 minutes to rid them of the tinned taste.
With the start of the asparagus season around the corner I would recommend substituting the courgettes with some blanched asparagus. I must also say that dill is such a wonderful component, so as long as you like dill, then make sure to add a generous serving. This salad is nothing without the egg. Sumac is a burgundy-red spice that adds a tangy kick and is commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking. It can be found in Middle Eastern specialty stores as well as Waitrose.
- 100g of butter beans, cooked and strained
- 50g of mixed baby leaf, washed and dried
- 6 cherry tomatoes on the vine, oven or pan- roasted
- 2 tbsp of fresh dill
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small courgette sliced thinly, lengthwise
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of sumac
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- A squeeze of lemon to taste
- rock salt
- Begin by dressing your plate with the salad leaves of choice
- Place a grill pan on medium flame, lightly grease and then cook the courgettes and tomatoes- this should take about 10-15 minutes minutes. Alternately you can use the oven.
- Meanwhile, take a chef’s/saute pan on medium heat and add the butter beans, one tablespoon of olive oil, and garlic. Stir well and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the beans are warm. Add salt to taste.
- Lastly, fry your egg in a small, slightly greased pan. Sprinkle with sumac.
- Add the courgettes, tomatoes and butter beans to your salad. Squeeze over some lemon and the remaining olive oil. Toss and then lay over the egg. Enjoy.